Call Today!

What's In A Name

How Do I Change My Child’s Name

Many clients after they get divorced, separate from their child’s father, or after a child’s parent has left the scene inquire about changing their child’s last name. In order to change the name of a child the other parent must be made aware of the fact that the name change is being requested. The parent not requesting the name change must be notified by legal service through a process server or by that parent signing a legal document agreeing to the name change. If the parent is served and does not agree to the name change they can request the court to deny the name change. A hearing is then held and the judge then makes the decision as to whether the name change is in the best interest of the child. If the judge determines the name change is in the best interest of the child the judge will grant the name change.

How Do I Change My Name

Changing the name of an adult is a bit simpler. There is no need to serve anyone, however, the person requesting their name change must get a finger print card done and sent it in requesting a background check. Once the background check comes back the person can go in front of the judge and the judge will finalize the name change.  

At the Christiansen Law Firm we are happy to assist parents who are seeking to change a name. If you are interested in more information regarding changing your name or the name of your child please contact our firm for a free consultation.

Free Consultation · Credit Cards Accepted · Payment Plans · Competitive Fees

We Speak English and Spanish · Handicapped Accessible Offices

Houston Office

(Principal Office)
810 S. Highway 6
Suite 210
Houston, Texas 77079
Phone: 281-579-2800
Fax: 281-579-2801
Map and Directions

San Antonio Office

84 NE Loop 410
Suite 130
San Antonio, Texas 78216
Phone: 210-829-0101
Fax: 210-829-8010
Map and Directions


Office Hours

8:30 am to 4:30 pm, M-F
at both locations


Pay Online