Call Today!

Types of Non-Immigrant Visas

Foreign nationals who desire to come to the United States temporarily have a variety of options.  United States law provides for different types of non-immigrant visas that authorize an individual to come to and remain in the United States.  The various non-immigrant visa types differ in their availability, the purpose of the visit, and the duration of the visit.  Qualifying under one of the legally authorized categories is critical, because failure to qualify precisely with the requirements of the particular visa type will mean denial of entry.   Today's blog post will outline some of the more common non-immigrant visa types.

B1 visa:  business visit

B2 visa:  pleasure visit

F1 visa:  student

H1B visa:  employment based specialty occupation

H2A visa:  temporary agricultural worker

H2B visa:   temporary non-agricultural worker

L1A visa:  Intracompany transfer - manager or executive

L1B visa:  Intracompany transfer - specialized knowledge

P visa:  athlete/entertainer/artist

R visa:  religious worker


If you are a foreign national interested in coming to the United States temporarily, you should consult with an experienced U.S. immigration attorney to determine which type of visa will be best for you.  The immigration attorneys of Christiansen Law Firm have extensive experience assisting foreign nationals with immigration matters.  For additional information, contact the attorneys of Christiansen Law Firm in Houston or San Antonio.


Free Consultation · Credit Cards Accepted · Payment Plans · Competitive Fees

We Speak English and Spanish · Handicapped Accessible Offices

Houston Office

(Principal Office)
810 S. Highway 6
Suite 210
Houston, Texas 77079
Phone: 281-579-2800
Fax: 281-579-2801
Map and Directions

San Antonio Office

84 NE Loop 410
Suite 130
San Antonio, Texas 78216
Phone: 210-829-0101
Fax: 210-829-8010
Map and Directions


Office Hours

8:30 am to 4:30 pm, M-F
at both locations


Pay Online