Call Today!


What are Surcharges? Surcharges are a fine imposed by DPS that requires you to pay a certain amount of money each year for 3 years or your drivers license will get suspended. You generally do not even know you got a surcharge until you get a letter in the mail.

How does a person get surcharges? The most common surcharges are those that occur from obtaining a driving while license invalid, driving without insurance, or DUI conviction. Also, if you get too many points you can also be hit with surcharges.

What happens if I DON'T pay them?  Your drivers license will be suspended until you do, you can get on a monthly payment plan though.

What happens if I CAN’T pay them? You may qualify for the Indigency or Incentive Program depending on your income. If you qualify your surcharges will be reduced between 50% - 100%.

What if I don’t qualify and still can’t pay them but I need a driver’s license? You can apply for an occupational drivers license in order to legally drive.

How can I find out if I owe surcharges? Go to, and type in your information.

At the Christiansen Law Firm we help people apply for the indigency/incentive programs if they qualify and also help in restoring people’s driving privileges and obtaining occupational driver’s licenses. If you are not eligible to drive, give us a call  for a free consolation.

Free Consultation · Credit Cards Accepted · Payment Plans · Competitive Fees

We Speak English and Spanish · Handicapped Accessible Offices

Houston Office

(Principal Office)
810 S. Highway 6
Suite 210
Houston, Texas 77079
Phone: 281-579-2800
Fax: 281-579-2801
Map and Directions

San Antonio Office

84 NE Loop 410
Suite 130
San Antonio, Texas 78216
Phone: 210-829-0101
Fax: 210-829-8010
Map and Directions


Office Hours

8:30 am to 4:30 pm, M-F
at both locations


Pay Online