Call Today!

How Can My Future Spouse Become A Permanent Resident?

Because of advancements in technology and transportation, people have the ability to travel internationally like never before. As a result, people have greater opportunities to visit new countries, experience new cultures, and develop new friendships. For some, these friendships can develop into feelings of love, leading to complicated future plans of marriage when immigration and government visas are involved. U.S. citizens interesting in marrying an immigrant may wonder how their future spouse can become a lawful permanent resident to immigrate to the U.S. There are several ways this can occur.

If a U.S. citizen is interested in marrying an overseas immigrant here in the U.S., then the citizen can apply for a Fiancé Visa. This temporary visa allows your future spouse living overseas to enter the U.S. and remain in lawful fiancé status for 90 days to allow for the wedding ceremony. After the ceremony, your new spouse can apply for permanent residency and is allowed to remain in the U.S. while the application is being processed.

For U.S. citizens that marry a non-U.S. citizen while overseas, the application process for their spouse is different. The U.S. citizen would need to file a Petition for Alien Relative. This form allows the U.S. citizen to petition his or her spouse by confirming and documenting the relationship. Thankfully, there is no waiting period for the immediate relatives of a U.S. citizen, which includes a spouse, parent or unmarried child under age 21.

Finally, U.S. citizens that desire to marry an immigrant already living in the U.S. with a different immigrant visa, such as student or work visa, may also need to complete an additional application process for their spouse's permanent residency. This process is known as adjustment of status.

For U.S. citizens or permanent residents engaged to a person of immigrant status, it is best to secure experienced legal counsel that can assist with all areas of immigration proceedings and immigration law. Christiansen Law Firm offers a full range of extensive legal services for those in need of immigration law services, including family-based immigration, international adoption, citizenship and naturalization, immigration appeals and detention bond hearings. Christiansen Law Firm strives to ensure client needs are met by applying our in-depth experience and focus on immigration law to help find the right approach for unique client situations. Contact Christiansen Law Firm today at our Houston or San Antonio offices to schedule an appointment, or go online to request more information.

Free Consultation · Credit Cards Accepted · Payment Plans · Competitive Fees

We Speak English and Spanish · Handicapped Accessible Offices

Houston Office

(Principal Office)
810 S. Highway 6
Suite 210
Houston, Texas 77079
Phone: 281-579-2800
Fax: 281-579-2801
Map and Directions

San Antonio Office

84 NE Loop 410
Suite 130
San Antonio, Texas 78216
Phone: 210-829-0101
Fax: 210-829-8010
Map and Directions


Office Hours

8:30 am to 4:30 pm, M-F
at both locations


Pay Online