Call Today!

Collecting Past-Due Child Support, Part 2

This week's blog post is the second in a two-part series outlining the tools a custodial parent can use to collect past-due child support.


The Office of the Attorney General can ensure that any tax refund due to the non-custodial parent be withheld from the non-custodial parent and sent to the custodial parent in partial satisfaction of the child support obligation.  It is important to ensure that the Attorney General's records are accurate and up-to-date so that the Attorney General knows to intercept the tax refund.


Once a child support lien has been properly filed against non-exempt real estate owned by the child support obligor, a suit for foreclosure of the property can be filed.  If the Court determines that child support is owed, the Court can order that the property be sold and the funds released to the child support obligee (custodial parent).  If a mortgage lien exists, it must be paid from the proceeds before the child support lien can be paid. 


Occasionally, a child support obligor will attempt to transfer money or property to a third party to "hold" until the child support enforcement matter is over.   This type of fraudulent transfer can be unraveled and the funds ordered to be turned over by the third party to the child support obligee (custodial parent).  This can be a powerful tool when used properly.

If a child support obligor owes you money, you have options.  Having a diligent, knowledgeable attorney on your side will help you collect the child support owed to you.  Christiansen Law Firm has years of experience collecting past due child support, and can assist you.  The family law attorneys of Christiansen Law Firm can help ensure that you are able to financially provide for your children.  Contact the attorneys at Christiansen Law Firm for assistance. 


Free Consultation · Credit Cards Accepted · Payment Plans · Competitive Fees

We Speak English and Spanish · Handicapped Accessible Offices

Houston Office

(Principal Office)
810 S. Highway 6
Suite 210
Houston, Texas 77079
Phone: 281-579-2800
Fax: 281-579-2801
Map and Directions

San Antonio Office

84 NE Loop 410
Suite 130
San Antonio, Texas 78216
Phone: 210-829-0101
Fax: 210-829-8010
Map and Directions


Office Hours

8:30 am to 4:30 pm, M-F
at both locations


Pay Online