Call Today!


One of the primary questions foreign nationals ask when they come to the United States or are planning to come to the United States is whether they will be authorized to work.  The authority of a non-immigrant to work depends upon the type of non-immigrant visa.  Some non-immigrant visas are specifically based on employment and even on a specific type of employment.  Some even require that the employee work for a specific employer.  Other non-immigrant visa types expressly prohibit employment, such as a student visa (F1).  Non-immigrant employment authorization will be addressed in a future blog post.  Today's blog post will address the legal elibility of an immigrant and of an intending immigrant to work legally in the U.S.

Once a foreign national becomes a lawful permanent resident, whether by an immigrant visa processed at a U.S. Consulate, or by adjustment of status to permanent resident in the United States, the individual automatically becomes authorized to work legally for any employer and for all types of work.  When a foreign national becomes a lawful permanent resident at a U.S. Consular post abroad, he/she comes to the U.S. with the right to work.  An applicant for adjustment of status may apply for temporary employment authorization by submitting a Form I-765 along with the application for adjustment of status.   

The filing fee for the Application for Employment Authorization, if filed alone, is currently $380.  If filed concurrently with the application for adjustment of status, the filing fee is included with the fee for adjustment of status.  Processing time is usually about 90 days. 

if you're interested in obtaining employment authorization in the United States, you don't have to go through the process alone.  Individuals need assistance from knowledgeable immigration attorneys to navigate the complex immigration system.  Christiansen Law Firm assists clients with immigration matters, including obtaining employment authorization.  The immigration attorneys of Christiansen Law Firm have extensive experience handling immigration matters, and can ensure that you obtain employment authorization as quickly as possible.  Contact Christiansen Law Firm in Houston or San Antonio to find out if you are eligible for employment authorization.

Free Consultation · Credit Cards Accepted · Payment Plans · Competitive Fees

We Speak English and Spanish · Handicapped Accessible Offices

Houston Office

(Principal Office)
810 S. Highway 6
Suite 210
Houston, Texas 77079
Phone: 281-579-2800
Fax: 281-579-2801
Map and Directions

San Antonio Office

84 NE Loop 410
Suite 130
San Antonio, Texas 78216
Phone: 210-829-0101
Fax: 210-829-8010
Map and Directions


Office Hours

8:30 am to 4:30 pm, M-F
at both locations


Pay Online